Friday, April 28, 2023

A Concert Life

 My concert days came to an abrupt end in 2020. I had tickets to see Michael Bublé on March 17th. It took a global pandemic to keep me away, but that is what happened. Missing that concert was indeed a sad occasion for me. But I went out with a bang. I finished up my concert life with Paul McCartney. Finally, seeing Paul in concert was a lifelong dream. He is a prolific songwriter whose voice reminds me of a beautiful time in my life.

                                                                         My favorite singer Paul McCartney- then

I missed seeing him at the Gator Bowl in the 1960s because my mother would neither buy me a ticket nor let me go on someone else’s dime. The other reason was that we were in the middle of a hurricane. I was in junior high school when the Beatles came to Jacksonville. Thinking back, I was allowed to go with my girlfriend Carla Misamore to the Big Ape Conventions held in the Jacksonville Coliseum. I can’t fathom the price of a ticket in the early sixties. Probably $4.00 would buy a ticket to teen idol heaven, including Bobby Vee, Joey Dee and the Star Lighters, and Mary Wells. It is quite possible that Bobby Rydell, The Four Seasons, and Lou Christie were there. I say “possible” because I can’t remember the exact line-up from so long ago. There might have been one or two hit wonders, but I was all dressed up and captivated by the music. It was remarkable that we were alone and on our own for the day.
                                                                         Sir Paul:  Still my favorite - sixty years later

As I got older and had my job, I was lucky that I always had the money for concert tickets, and believe me, I have been to see the best of the best. I have seen the best at their worst and the worst at their best. I have traveled to Tampa, Gainesville, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and Atlanta just for a concert. But as a Jacksonville girl, I lived in a concert wasteland until the city muckety-mucks realized they could sell many overpriced parking spaces and $6.00 hot dogs. For many years, the Jacksonville music scene seemed void of all music louder than Jones College Radio. This began to shift at some point, and through the years, big names finally came to town.

Around 1968, I saw the Monkees at the Jacksonville Coliseum. Their opening act was none other than Jimi Hendrix. This Jimi was the teeth playing behind his back, Jimi. My ears rang for several days. Unfortunately, I did not appreciate him then. I’ve always hated unknown opening acts.
In 1969 or around that time, I was lucky. Jacksonville University’s Homecoming concert featured a 28-year-old Neil Diamond in his greaser days (the “Kentucky Woman” and “Red Red Wine” Neil Diamond). His voice was clear, smooth, and heavenly. They also brought in Spanky and Our Gang, comedians Robert Klein and David Steinberg, and old Doc Severinsen from the Tonight Show. It was all mind-blowing music. But one of the most memorable concerts I ever attended at JU, or any other place, was seeing very young and hungry Billy Joel. I had a second-row seat and saw the sweat flying off his forehead. I left that concert, and I was floating on cloud nine. What a performance.

After leaving South Georgia College (where I saw Neil Diamond for the second time in a gym), I got hooked on Leon Russell. A pretty good-looking guy with long salt-and-pepper hair back then, Leon is close to holding the record for concerts I’ve attended the most. He has always liked small venues. I saw him twice in the old gym at The University of Florida when he was performing with his wife, Mary Russell. Leon also performed in topless bars, and I saw him at Dub’s Topless Bar somewhere between Gainesville and Waldo. One topless bar lasted me a lifetime. Leon likes to show up late and play until his fingers go numb, and I have never heard him speak a word. I saw him several times at the Jacksonville Beaches Auditorium and a BBQ joint on Beach Blvd that was formerly a 7-11. One of my first outings with my new sister-in-law, Kim, was to that Leon Russell concert at the former 7-11. I knew she was cool after she agreed to wait outside in freezing weather to get Leon’s autograph on a cassette insert I had brought along just in case. The last time I saw him was at my beautiful Florida Theater.

I saw the Allman Brothers and the not-so-famous band Sea Level at the old Beaches Auditorium. Sea Level was an incredible jazz/fusion/rock band, and I had to drag my friend Alison along to hear them. Neither she nor I realized until just a few years ago that we were listening to Chuck Leavell’s band. He has been playing piano for Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones, George Harrison, and many others. He was just as good then as he is now. It pays to listen to “Fresh Air” on NPR.

I used to love driving to Gainesville after work with tickets in hand to see the likes of Donavan Leitch, The Mamas and The Papas, Jimmy Buffett, and Steve Martin during his “happy feet” silly days. He made me laugh until I cried. There was also a drive-through liquor store back halfway between Starke and Gainesville that would sell you a beer, remove the cap, and think nothing of handing it to you.

I’ve seen the Rolling Stones twice. Van Halen was their opening act at the old Orange Bowl in Orlando. I also saw them at the Gator Bowl, where I also saw The Who and Michael Jackson. I’ve seen Tom Jones twice (the younger model and then the older version). Both versions were incredible. I’ve seen Elvis Presley (the older version), The Doobie Brothers, Chicago, Cat Stevens (in Atlanta at the Omni), Ike and Tina Turner, Van Cliburn, Gordon Lightfoot, Dave Brubeck, Bette Midler, Bill Withers, Air Supply (on Key Biscayne), Michael Franks (in Miami), Fleetwood Mac, Bob Seeger, George Benson (in Ft, Lauderdale), Alice Cooper on his Billion Dollar Babies Tour (that was scary) and Tony Bennett. I loved Allison Krauss with Union Station, Michael McDonald, George Winston, Melanie (the older version), Peter, Paul and Mary, Arlo Guthrie, George Thorogood and the Destroyers, Sam Kenison, Barry Manilow, Judy Collins, Luciano Pavarotti, .38 Special, Herby Mann (at Applejacks), James Galway (twice) and Liza Minelli (in Pittsburgh with my cousin, Debra). I drove to both Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa to see Earl Klugh and saw him twice in Jacksonville. His music was so romantic.
And then there were The Moody Blues. They love golf and Jacksonville because of it, according to an article I read in their “fanzine.” I loved them so much that I even joined their fan club. My husband and I took Andy to Daytona to see them for his “first” rock concert. Not that he cared either way. He had more fun on this bungee slingshot thing next to the hotel. I couldn’t watch that, so I returned to our hotel room and closed the drapes. I wasn’t interested in seeing my son catapulting himself into the Atlantic Ocean. I saw The Moody Blues so many times at the Florida Theater; I lost count. Until the past several years, they were one of the few bands with all the original members still standing …well, almost…I’ve seen them in their forties and their late sixties…I’ve seen them fat, and I’ve seen them thin. I can sing along to all of their songs. When I last saw them, their flute player, Ray Thomas, left the band, and I missed him. I decided I had seen them at their best, which was enough for me. I have had enough Days of Future Past.

I have seen Michael Bublé three times, and all times were…well…wonderful. I saw John Mayer at his first concert in Jacksonville and finally got to “see” Eric Clapton. When I say “see,” that was on the big screen in the Veterans Arena. As usual, I ended up behind the beer-drinking, standing dancers grooving to the music. I was and have always been the sober sitter there to savor the music and stare at God (in Clapton’s case). Oddly enough, my father introduced me to Diana Krall. Her concert at the Times-Union Center was one of my very favorites. She has it all in my book. With an incredibly sexy voice and mastery of jazz piano, she was mesmerizing.

I have held season tickets to the Jacksonville Symphony and made it a point to hear their performances of works I played the flute in during high school. I performed in the concert band versions of works of Rimsky-Korsakov, Rossini, and many more that fail me now. There is nothing like a concert of nothing but Sousa Marches. My Restless Legs Syndrome usually kicks in at a symphony performance. I can’t wait to attend a Jacksonville Symphony concert, and I can’t wait to leave.

Now that I am older and in shitty shape, I need concert seating in the “accessible seating” section. At first, I thought this would be a terrible thing. But, as it turns out, it is like having your own quiet box seat with no one to bother you or spill beer on your feet. The seats are very good and cheaper than everyone else in the same seating level. No stairs, no problems, and a restroom about six steps away. Who could ask for more? Another plus … I got to “live chat” with the box office guy who was in Jacksonville. (Not that I mind purchasing tickets from someone in a suburb of New Delhi). Disability sometimes has its privileges.
                                                                            My Favorite Concert Venue

No comments: